Monday, April 2, 2012

Fake Tattoos & Real Malaysian Headhunters


Henna tattoos are my kind of tattoo. They get painted on, and wear off in about a week. 


And when applied by descendants of headhunters at Monsopiad Cultural Village, who could refuse? 


I took a group there in 2009. Before dinner and a show we got henna tattoos, beaded necklaces, blew darts at balloons, and toured the village.  


After tattoos and before dinner, Callie, Cliff and I walked across a street and up a gravel path to a bamboo-framed sanctuary.  We removed our shoes and entered a dark room covered in palm frond mats. 


Above us, human heads dangled from the rafters.  

I reached for Callie's arm, stealing a touch of warm skin above her wrist. Her gaze moved down from the ceiling to me.

In silence, we turned and walked towards the commotion of musicians and dancers gearing up for our show. 


No comments:

Post a Comment