Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Trip to Paris with 4 Adults and 3 Kids

Westin Paris


One day I would really like to stay at the 5-star Westin Paris-Vendome Hotel.

It's right across the street from the Louvre, and a short walk from the river Seine. While super touristy, it somehow maintains a sense of charm lost to the Champs Elysees or Opera areas of town.

This is not that trip.

My sister-in-law recently decided to join our family vacation with two of her children.  I'm really happy they are coming, but it certainly complicates finding budget-friendly accommodations.

I found some nice options on VRBO, but can't say I found anything tasteful for a group of seven in central Paris. The most inexpensive was an attic loft with a couch and some mattresses on the floor for 375 Euro a night.

Remember Priceline? I haven't used it since I bought a really cheap ticket to Washington D.C. back in 2001.

Buoyed by office stories of recent successes, I wagered 89 Euro per room per night for a 4-star hotel--and I got it! The Bartholomew family will be staying at the ever-utilitarian Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel and Conference Center.

It may not be right across from the Louvre, but it is a straight shot on the RER from the airport, has dependable beds, and most importantly, is a short walk away from the Luxembourg Gardens. With the kids coming,  I'll have an excuse to check out Luxembourg's famous puppet theater and carousel.

Now I've just got to figure out how to save on metro passes.


Marriott Rive Gauche


No comments:

Post a Comment