Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Great Layoff Escape Day 6: Chatsworth Yard Art


Damian Hirst - Legend

The current Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, Peregrine Cavendish and Amanda Heyward-Lonsdale, are proponents of the modern. Every fall Chatsworth plays host to large outdoor sculpture exhibition, Beyond Limits,  put on by Sotheby's.

The contemporary sculpture sends the message that Chatsworth is a progressive estate with vibrant in-touch-with-the-times residents. Beyond Limits is brilliant PR, and also keeps the centuries-old gardens fresh with surprises.

During my afternoon wander,  I snapped a few photos of my favorites.


Barry Flanagan - Large Left-Handed Drummer

I've always dreamt of doing a hedge maze guarded by giant Lewis Caroll rabbit. An Australian family helped me navigate to the center. Hint: watch for blind corners that are really passageways.

Ji Yong Ho - Lion 2

The exterior of this sculpture is made from recycled bicycle tires. Super cool. Chatsworth house behind covered in scaffolding. I'll just have to go back.

David Breuer-Weil - Visitor 2

These feet delighted me. It was one of those  who-would-ever-think-that? and I'm-glad-they-did!  kind of moments.

Marc Quinn - Burning Desire

Georgia O'Keefe would be so proud. It's a giant red exhibitionist vagina in the front yard.

Yayoi Kusama - Flowers That Bloom Tomorrow

This spillway feeds the Jupiter Fountain in front of the house. Not in love with the sculpture, but hey, its colorful, menacing, and Japanese!

Rene-Margritte - Les Menottes de Cuivre 

I liked this one because I kept seeing it out of the corner of my eye thinking we had a flasher loose in the yard. Made me wonder if the Greeks and Romans painted their statuary flesh tones.

I'm pretty sure the title means "The Copper Handcuffs." Anyone want to provide the story behind that one for me?

3 comments:

  1. I laughed and laughed the whole way through! Clever story coming ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The landscaping adjacent to Jupiter Fountain creates a yearning to play hide and seek with Jude Law.
    As for Magritte's mysterious sculpture... It was given the poetic title "The Copper Handcuffs" by Surrealist Andre Breton.

    http://www.sothebys.com/en/catalogues/ecatalogue.html/2011/beyond-limits-chatsworth#/r=/en/ecat.fhtml.L11010.html+r.m=/en/ecat.lot.L11010.html/12/+r.o=/en/ecat.notes.L11010.html/12/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for doing the research on the copper handcuffs. I guess I was picturing a set of handcuffs cutting off venus's arms or something. But since she doesn't have arms, and is half-made of copper, not having arms is as good as wearing handcuffs.

    ReplyDelete