Sunday, September 25, 2011

BlackBerry Travelogue: NYC in September

I boarded a plane in Salt Lake and then a taxi from JFK to Manhattan my first day on the job at Adobe.  We stayed in the Trump Soho Hotel, a glittering new property on Spring Street.

In typical Trump fashion, the Soho tower is the tallest building for at least a mile in any direction. But before I poke fun at Donald's hair or make any overcompensation jokes,  the tower's height actually proves useful in the pedestrian paradise that is Soho. Lost? Just look up.

The hotel is within walking distance of West and East Villages, anything you could hope to eat, interesting shopping, the Monocle Shop, an expanded Highline Park, and a plethora of H&Ms, Starbucks, and Uniqlos.

Once my tip change ran dry,  I found myself skirting around the lobby hoping to avoid the hotel's perfectly helpful greeters and doormen for fear of being labeled as the cheap guest.

On my last day in town I dropped my bags off at the bell desk and wandered the city from Spring Street to 88th Street before heading off to the airport at 4:00 p.m. And my conclusion after wandering for 7-odd miles? When I move to NYC I want to live in Soho, and to  avoid midtown as much as possible.

Mussed Bed / Trump Soho Tower / View South to WTC
Shake Shack at Madison Sq Park


WTC 1 / Traffic Amphitheater @ Highline Park / Washington Sq by night






2 comments:

  1. always lovely to hear your travel stories and get to see your photos to make it complete.

    ReplyDelete